Font

Home ] New Shoreham ] St Mary de Haura ]

SHOREHAM is an ancient seaport, interesting from the fact of its having been associated with the history of our country from Saxon times, and the landing place of the first King of the South Saxons.

Part of the fine Norman Church dates from about 1130. It is built of flint and Caen stone and is one of the grandest specimens of 12th century Churches in England. The original building extended some 100 feet west, the site being traceable from the ruined fragments that remain.

The font is Norman, and is another example of the well-known type consisting of a round basin hollowed out of a square block of Sussex marble, the four sides bearing shallow carvings. The angles on the top of the font have the same ornamentation as seen on the bases of the columns on the north side of the interior.

from Some Sussex Fonts

Copyright Martin Snow 2002 All rights reserved
Revised 10 July 2002