Previous Toc Next

  THE STORY OF SIIOREHA11           CAPTAIN HENRY PRIESTMAN  
                         
that had grappled them, he concludes, " at that time the surgeon was cutting off the shattered flesh and tendons of my toe, and immediately after we were boarded by the fatal fire-ships that burnt us ." The " Royal James " blew up, only some half-dozen of her crew, among whom were Haddock and his lieutenant, Thomas Mayo, being saved. On his return to London, Haddock was presented to the King, who took off the cap he was wearing and placed it on the gallant commander's head.   This cap was still preserved in the family at the end of the l8th century.   was purchased by Joseph Honoton of Troubridge, in whose descendants possession it remained till July, 1891, when it was bought by Lord Donnington.   In his old age, Hungerford is said to have been a poor Knight of Windsor. He died in 1711, and was btu•ie 11. in the Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields.
  Sir Edward Hungerford married thrice. By his first wife, Jane, daugher of Sir John Hele, of Devonshire (died 18th May, 1664), and who was buried at Farleigh, he had an only son Edward, who married in 1680 at the age of nineteen, Lady Alathea Compton, and died September, 1681. By his second wife, Jane Culme (died 1674), and by his third wife, Jane Digby-perhaps the Lady Hungerford buried 23rd November, 1692 he also left issue. A daughter of the first marriage married in March, 1684, Clotworthy Skeffington, second Viscount Massarene, and died 2nd February, 1731-2, and left to her eldest son portraits of her father and grandfather and of other relatives.   In her will she mentions a brother and sister then living. With the death of Sir Edward, the history of the Farleigh family of Hungerford practically ceases. Sir Edward Hungerford represented New Shoreham in Parliament, 1 James II. 1685, Convention, 1688-9, and 2 William and Mary, 1689-90. He afterwards sat for Ste,nina, 7 William Ill., 1695, 10 William III., 1698, 12 William 111., 1700-1, and 1 Anne, 1702.*
   Convention 1688-9 -:a Sir Edward Hungerford John Monk, Esq.  
   2 Wm. w Mary 1639-90   John Perry, Esq.  
           
Sir Edward Hungerford (1632-1711). Son and heir of Anthony 1-Iur-gerford,a Royalist (who represented Chippenham in the House of Commons in 1620, and Bath in the Long Parliament, and died 1657), his mother was Rachel (died January-, 1679-80), daughter of Rice Jones, of Astail. Oxon. He was born 20th October, 1632, and baptised at Blada Bourton. Oxon. He was a K.B. at the Coronation of Charles II., 23rd April, 1661.  
               
In April, 1669, Sir Edward's town residence, Hungerford House, Charing Cross, was destroyed by fire and he settled in. 16,81 in Spring Gardens. He obtained some reputation as a patron of archery and was Lieut.-Col. of the regiment of Archers, 1661, and Col., 1682.                
In January, 1679-80, he presented a petition for the summoning of a Parliament, and hi: ,wo-Ni~ed opposition to the Court led to his removal from the Lieutenancy of his county, May, 1681. But Sir Edward was best known for his reckless extravagance. He is said to have disposed of thirty manors in all. By way of restoring his waning fortunes be obtained permission, 1679, to hold a Market on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, on the site of the demolished Hungerford House and grounds. In 1682 the Market House was erected there, apparently from Sir Christopher Wren's design. A bust of Sir Edward was placed on the north front with an inscription, stating that the Market House had been built at his expense with the King's sanction. In 1685 Sir Stephen Fox and Sir Christopher Wren purchased the Market and received the tolls. The Market House was rebuilt in 1833, and removed in 1860, when Charing Cross Railway Station was built on the site.     7 William III.    1695   John Perry, Esq.   Capt. Henry Priestman.
               
  Captain Henry Priestman's first command was to the " Antelope " in 1672, and in the following year he was promoted to the command of the " Richmond." Sent in 1675 to the Mediterranean in command of the " Lark," in 1677-8 appointed to the " Swan," and, in the same year, to his first ship the " Antelope," with instructions to guard the fishing at Yarmouth. In 1681, commanded   " Reserve,"   in 1683 " Bonaventure " in the Mediterranean and appointed Commodore in the Straits. He was sent in 1684 to Tetuan to treat with the Emperor of Morocco In 1688, he was placed in command of the " Hampton Court," and succeeded Sir William Booth, in 1689, as Comptroller of the Storekeeper's accounts, quitting that office on being nominated a Commissioner for executing the office of Lord High Admiral.
           
                         
                * (Hare's Hungerfordiana, 1823. Jackson's Guide to Farleigh, Gent'., Magazine, 18:3'2, IL, 113-11:5. Notes and Querias 5, Saries II., 293. Burke's Extinct Peerage-Hungerford of Heytesbury. Burke', Vicissitudes of Fainilies, First Serie:;).
Hungerford sold the Manor and Castle of Farleigh to Henry Baynton, of Spye, Berks, for £50,000, in 1686, but about 1700 it                
                         
    228               229    

Previous Toc Next

Copyright © Martin Snow 2002 All rights reserved
Revised 27 February 2002