Previous Toc Next

    THE STORY OF SHOREI &M         A SKILFUL HORSEMAN  
                   
                         
thereof and his damages. Gilbert and the others in mercy, and. John de Brewose in mercy, for a false claim against the Earl, pardoned."     John Godman.-May 30th, 1575, Richard Sysson (also Vicar of New Shoreham).-January 2nd, 1607-8, James Wrenche
    John Fowkes (B.A., 1607-8, M.A., 1609), Vicar of Old Shoreham and of Bolney. Instituted to Old Shoreham 15th February, 1609-10, and to Bolney 15th October, 1627. Is mentioned (1612) together with Robert Wood, Vicar of New Shoreham and John Bridge, Vicar of Portslade as furnishing a corselet towards the Nation's armoury. He was buried at Bolney, 16th January, 1640-1, and was succeeded at Old Shoreham by John Johnson. February 9th, 1663-4, Francis Smith, M.A., of Magdalen College, Oxon. He was also appointed in 1677, Rector of Clayton-enmKeymer, which he held with Old Shoreham until his death in 1683, being succeeded April 16th in that year by Simon Winch who was also Curate and Sequestrator of New Shoreham.
1299, Thomas de Brantyngham-ante 1312 Bertrand Grycardi, ex-Rector of Shoreham. He was Canon of Liege in 1312.-1318, Nigel de la Falayse " parson of Old Shoreham."   In the year named he purchased of John Benet of New Shoreham, and Agnes, his wife, for 100 marks, 16 acres and 3 roods arable land.    
1341, Thomas de Brembre. It is possible that he was the same individual who was appointed Dean of Wimborne, August 5th, 1350.   He founded a chantry in the north transept of Wimborne Minster and was buried there in 1361.    
               
March 4th, 1353, Thomas de Brantyngham presented to the Church of Old Shoreham in the King's gift, "by reason of the Priory of La Sele being in his hands on account of the war with. France."-April 12th, 1353, Peter Cook of Halsted. Ratification as parson of Old Shorham and revocation of the King's late presentation of the church to Thomas de Brantyngham. The latter became Bishop of Exeter in 1370. He was appointed Lord High Treasurer in 1378, but was succeeded in the following year by Richard Fitzalan, Earl of Arundel and Surrey. Thomas de Brantyngham again received the appointment in 1380, and held it until 1389, in which year he was succeeded by John Gilbert, Bishop of St. Davids. Brantyngham held the Bishopric of Exeter until his death, 23rd December, 1394, his successor being Edmund Stafford, Lord High Chancellor. (Hadyn's Book of Dignities).    
    The living of Old Shoreham was sequestrated March 9th, 1685-6, and the following Curates were licensed : September 24th, 1695, John Gray (also Rector of Southwick).-July 25th, 1751, Montague Cholmley, who resigned 1752, and was succeeded by Thomas Waldegrave who was also Vicar of Washington.Robert Norton the Rector of Southwick was deputy Curate 1755 to 1761, and Mathew Nicholas, Rector of Beeding, deputy Curate 1756 to 1771.-John Morgan was Curate, 1770 to 1818.
               
                1784-1828, Thomas Hatch also Vicar of Washington. In his obituary notice which appears in the Gentleman's Magazine it is recorded that he died 15th April, 1828, at Washington, Sussex, aged 84. He took the degree of M.A. in 1769, "but as his prospect of succeeding to a fellowship was very remote he accepted a commission in the East India Company's service and served as Captain in a regiment of sepoys.   Returning to England in 1782, he was ordained, proceeded B.D. in 1783, and in 1784, was presented by his College to the livings of Old Shoreham and Washington. He was in his youth distinguished for his skill in horsemanship, so much so, that, in company with two of his fellow collegians (who were afterwards Doctors of Divinity) he exhibited, during a long vacation at some provincial towns, several equestrian feats which are now confined to Astley's. During the last war (Napoleonic) he served as Lieutenant in the corps of Yeomanry Cavalry commanded by Sir Cecil Bisshop. For the 44 years of his Incumbency he was strictly resident on his living." However, we find John Evans was Curate of Shoreham, 1816 to 1828.
  1360-1367, William Gategangs (De Banco Rolls). He exchanged in 1383, with John Larke, parson of Milham, Norfolk.1391, John de Melton presented by the King. He is again mentioned in 1394.-September 3rd, 1397, Thomas Yokeflete presented by the Priory, but the presentation disputed by John Inglewood who was presented by the King. A commission appointed by the Bishop determined in favour of the former, January 10th, 1397-8.    
               
  Where known, the date of Institution is given in the list which follows : July 16th, 1403, John Horsham.-September 29th, 1410, William Elys-1478, Walter Gosse, mentioned in Bishop's Visitation.-John Rogers.-September 20th, 1504, John Hornbye who was also Vicar of New Shoreham.-January 22nd, 1532-3, John Smyth.-May 29th, 1556, John Heppe.-April 13th, 1561,  
                         
      196             197    

Previous Toc Next

Copyright © Martin Snow 2002 All rights reserved
Revised 27 February 2002