Previous Toc Next

  THE STORY OF SHOREHAM         A NEW TOWN    
                   
                         
cupola with lantern which then surmounted it. It is said to have served the purpose of signalling to smugglers to warn them of danger or to assure them of safety when a cargo was waiting to be " run."   foundation stone of which was laid in 1874 by Mrs. Clara Gates, wife of Mr. Thomas Gates, Chairman of the Local Government Board. The new Council Schools are in Victoria, Road, on the site of the Swiss Gardens. The Roman Catholic School stands on the site of the old cottages shown in the accompanying picture.  
             
There are two or three old houses of interest remaining in the High Street and of these may be mentioned " Stone House," "Ye Olde Red House," and some cottages at the corner of West Street. Others showing signs of antiquity are to be found in West Street, John Street, Ship Street, and Church Street. The " Three Houses " at the north end of Southdown Road (formerly New Barns Lane) have been robbed of their old-time quaintness by recent restoration.    
  The former lonely and desolate beach is now almost covered with bungalows, which have been erected in an endless variety  
               
    Picture  
Most of the "field " names are marked on the map. The " Longcroft " is mentioned in a will, 16th December, 1618. Some land described as "part of Clubb's Hall " (east side of Brunswick Road) was sold early in the last century for building and so was the "Seven Acres" on which stand the houses in Queen's Place and Western Road and over part of which runs the line to Worthing. Other fields, some of them also built on, are Ravenscroft, Baron's Croft, Stonegate Field, and Bayfield. Cordon and Rosslyn Roads are built on part of the Ham Field (Old Shoreham).      
Few of the elm trees, for which the town was once so famous, now remain. They grew on either side of some of the principal streets and the churchyard was surrounded by them. It is said that many were cut down to supply the wood for gunstocks for the Army during the French Wars. A venerable specimen is still standing on the north side of the churchyard, two very fine trees at the north end of Ravens Road and one or two in Mill Lane and elsewhere, while at Old Shoreham they are more plentiful, though many have been laid low by the storms of recent years.      
The Shoreham Grammar School is one of the chief educational establishments of the district. It was founded in 1842 by the late Mr. W. H. Harper. It has for many years been carried on with conspicuous success by the present Head Master and proprietor, S. Gregory Taylor, Esq., M.A.                
    of styles. Some are fantastic, some grotesque, many are beautiful, and some are-not. To a certain extent the place has still something of the appearance of a town in the making, and although its condition is not quite that of "Eden" in Dickens' " Martin Chuzzlewhit," it certainly- " aint all built yet."
An excellent boarding and day-school is conducted by ladies at Longcroft and there are several good preparatory schools, both in the town and on the beach. The Council Schools are in Ham Road. They were the former Board School buildings, the    
    But some day it will be a large town and meanwhile bungalows rapidly increase in number. Many have had their origin in disused railway carriages. It is remarkable to note the very
               
                         
                  79      
    78                    

Previous Toc Next

Copyright © Martin Snow 2002 All rights reserved
Revised 27 February 2002