Previous Toc Next

  THE STORY OF SHOREHAM         THE MANOR HOUSE AND CHAPEL    
                         
acres of pasture, 100 acres of marsh and 100 acres of heath and brushwood, a windmill and pasture for 1,000 sheep in Old Shoreham and Beeding, and 20 acres of arable, 18 acres of pasture and 10 acres of heath and brushwood called " Walsteedes," in Old Shoreham."     1765, when 5/6ths were conveyed to Colville Bridger, Esq., and, the remaining 16th to him in 1774.  
    Among the Burrell MSS. in the British Musenm is a watercolour drawing of Old Erringham House as it appeared when visited by Sir William Burrell in 1752. That gentleman, in his notes on Old Shoreham, says :-" at Erringham in this parish a branch of the family of Bellingham formerly resided. It was a building of considerable extent, now occupied by a farmer, and the chapel on the north-west angle is converted into a stable."  
               
He also was " seised of the Manor of Erringham-Breuses, otherwise Breuse " (Braose) and 50 acres of arable, 40 acres of pasture and 40 acres of heath and brushwood in Old and New Shoreham.      
Both manors were then held of William Dix and William Cantrell, esquires, as of the Honour of Bramber by service of 1/8th of a knight's fee. " Walsteedes " was held of William West, knt., Lord de la Warr by fealty and rent of 8d. in soccage, as of his Manor of Sompting-Peverell.      
               
  Picture  
We may note that the Manor of Erringham-Braose was anciently part of the great possessions of William de Wiston, who had acquired it by his marriage with Agnes, daughter of William de Harcourt. William de Wiston dying in 1259, his only daughter, the wife of Adam de Bavent, became his heiress. Her granddaughter, Joan, wife of Sir Peter de Braose, left a daughter, Beatrix, from whose. descendant, Thomas Shirley of Wiston, John Bellingham had purchased it in 1564.    
John Bellingham's son and heir, John, also of Erringham, born in 1563, married his distant relative, Mary, daughter of Richard Bellingham of Hangleton. He died lst December, 1613, having had issue-John, who (lied young, Richard and Francis, and a daughter, Mary, who married Sir Thomas Springett, of BroYle Place, Ringmer. She died in 1654. The eldest son of this marriage, Herbert Springett, created a baronet in 1660, was M.P. for the Borough of New Shoreham in 1661 and died in 1662.    
Richard Bellingham, of Erringham, who succeeded his father at the age of 24, married Jane, daughter of Thomas Bowyer (sister of Sir Thomas Bow yer) and (lied 20th August, 1625.    
               
    The water-colour, which is of the east front of the house, shows that a wing running out at right angles from the main building was then ruinous and this has since entirely disappeared, and also a double-storied porch, which formed the principal entrance, since removed.
His eldest son and heir, Thomas Bellingham, of Erringham, born about 1612, who married (1633) Margaret, daughter of Henry Shelley of Patcham, Esq., sold Erringham in 1650 to John Juxon, of Albourne.    
The subsequent descent of the united manors of ErringhamWalstead and Erringham-Braose may be given in a few words. Sir William, son of John Juxon, sold in 1664 to the Hon. Cecil Tufton, with whose descendants the Erringhams remained until     On the west side this old manor house seems to have been but very little altered for some centuries. It retains several features which indicate that parts of the building date back to the Middle Ages. Not the least interesting are some blocked
                         
    56             57      

Previous Toc Next

Copyright © Martin Snow 2002 All rights reserved
Revised 27 February 2002